"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Sandcastles

Son, I love you.

Build sandcastles, Daddy!

But Son, I am giving you my whole life. Don’t you want more?

No, Daddy. Build sandcastles! We’ll have fun!

You are too old for sandcastles now, Son.

But Daddy, I used to have such fun! Build sandcastles, Daddy!

The tide is coming, Son.

Look, Daddy! Isn’t it big?! It is so big and high! It’s bigger than me, Daddy!

I can help you make something that will last the tide.

But Daddy, I made it just for you! Look, I can put pretty things on it. I can make it look so nice!

It is still sand, Child. I can make things that will last.

But Daddy, this is what I want to do. Isn’t it wonderful? It will be so much fun!

But your work is in vain, Child. The tide is coming.

I can make people! They live here for me Daddy! Isn’t it so big and grand! The people like me! I can make more of them! There are so many, isn’t it great, Daddy?

The tide is coming, Child.

It can be even bigger, Daddy! I can make more of them, with even more people! Then other people will see my sandcastles and they will think that I’m so smart! Then other people will like me and I will have lots of friends. I can tell them about you, too, Daddy. Build sandcastles, Daddy!

With my life, I have given you freedom.

Build sandcastles, Daddy!

I can give you joy, in place of happiness.

But I want to build sandcastles, Daddy!

The tide is coming, Child. I can give you peace.

Sandcastles are easy, Daddy. I can make them for you!

No, Child. There is more to what I offer you than sand.

Daddy, I can build sandcastles! I want to build sandcastles!

But Child, the tide is coming! Ask me to give you something to last the tide!

Daddy, what’s happening?! My sandcastles are going away! Daddy!

The tide has come, my Child. It is time to see what you did with the time and the life I gave you.

I built sandcastles, Daddy.

But where are they now, my Child?

The tide swept them away, Daddy. Everything is gone.

Everything that you did with my life, with my time, is gone.

I’m so sorry, Daddy. I wasted your gift.

Yes you did, Son.

You even told me that you could give me something that would last.

I could have helped you build so much more.

But I didn’t listen. I wasted it, Daddy! It’s all gone! I’m so sorry…

Do not despair, you are still my child.

But I didn’t do anything with what you gave me…

Weep no more, Child. I still love you. No more tears, you are here with me now.


Inspired by 1 Corinthians 3:10-15 “Let each man take care how he builds…for the Day will disclose it.”
Dedicated to the One who wipes away every tear of shame.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lexi Elizabeth said...

aww. that's sad. how old is the child?

5:28 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

The child is every Christian who has accepted the spiritual birth that God can give, but who does not appreciate the worth of it. It is based on the fact that even though all Christians will live in the same Heaven when they die, some Christians will receive a reward for how they lived their lives, and some will not 1 Cor 3:10-15. Those who do not receive a reward will be ashamed for a short time but then "He will wipe away every tear."

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home